Technology transfer is the essence of TIG's function. When the development phase is sufficiently far advanced so that the client wants to move the technology into its organization a variety of processes must be carried out. Among these are the following activities:
- Establish agreements on intellectual property control and licensing .
- Document the technology including specifications, production processes and quality assurance specifications.
- Establish and facilitate relationships between client and source of the technology.
- Deliver tooling, prototypes, equipment and drawings to the client.
- Ensure that the client is completely conversant with the technology.
- Support the client in efforts to obtain patent protection for its technology.
TIG has carried out these steps in a wide variety of contexts. Some examples are:
- Laser diodes
- Light valves
- Optical coatings
- Computerized data acquisition
- Diffractive optical elements
- Automotive lighting
- Infrared wireless data links
- Nonimaging optics